In 2009, the NSW affordable housing policy was introduced which has allowed the easy approval of granny flats in as little as 10 days under complying development.
The minimum requirements for a Granny Flat under complying development are outlined below.
- The property must be zoned “residential” and have a minimum area of 450m2
- The property must have a minimum of 12m width at the detached granny flat
- The granny flat must be a minimum of 3m from the rear boundary and 900mm from the side boundaries
- The granny flat must be a minimum of 3m away from any trees over 4m in height
- The maximum size of the granny flat is to be 60m2